The AWA, founded originally as the American Women’s Club, and later known as the American Women’s Association, has been serving Americans living in New Delhi since 1947. In 2013 members voted to change the name of the organization to the American Welcome Association to better reflect the changing face of our membership.
Membership is open to all American citizens (and to spouses of American citizens) and entitles them to participate in the services and activities sponsored by the AWA. General meetings and/or events are held each month from August through April offering programs on a wide variety of topics.
The office is located at Gate D of the American Embassy Compound on Panchsheel Marg (across the street from Sikkim House and just a few feet down from the Marine Gate). The office observes many of the American and Indian holidays.
AWA is governed by an Executive Board elected in the spring of each year as set forth in its Constitution and By-laws. All members are welcome and encouraged to serve as officers and to participate in various committees of the AWA. You will find there are plenty of opportunities to volunteer in various worthwhile endeavors. We hope you will consider joining us to help enrich your life and the lives of others.
The Objectives of the Association are:
- To encourage social interaction among all members of the American community in New Delhi.
- To organize cultural activities to enhance our knowledge of India.
- To provide services such as the AWA Library and Thrift Shop.
- To generate funds from the AWA activities and services to support our organization and its Outreach projects.
- To provide a network for sharing information and assistance to the AWA membership.